Sunshine on My Mind
What comes to mind when you think of summer? For us it’s a picnic by the waterfall, enjoying the company of good friends and the wonder of nature. This month we would like to share one of our favorite vegan spreads. Chickpea salad sandwiches have just the right amount of crunch and savory goodness to send your taste buds on a magical vacation. Pair it with some juicy watermelon slices, refreshing lavender lemonade and a blanket. Then head out to your favorite picnic destination. Happy Summer! ~ Chef Kat
“It was June, and the world smelled of roses. The sunshine was like powdered gold over the grassy hillside.”
-Maud Hart Lovelace
- 15ozs cooked chickpeas, drained
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup radishes, finely diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, mash the chickpeas a bit.
- Stir in the next 6 ingredients
- Stir in the remaining ingredients, adjust the flavors to your taste at this point.
- Serve as is, on crackers or on some tasty wheat bread.
*The chickpea salad recipe is inspired by The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon.
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender pearls*
- 1 cup granulated sugar, Agave and honey make great substitutes
- 4 cups water
- 1 ½ cups fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Boil 2 cups of water in a sauce pot. Add the sugar and lavender pearls and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let it sit for 1 hour up to 24 hours. The longer you leave it to infuse the better the taste.
- After infusion, strain the mixture into a pitcher. Add remaining 2 cups water and 1 ½ cups lemon juice, stir until well combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator or add ice and enjoy immediately
*When you enjoy this tasty beverage here at Elohee we use only the best lavender grown in our pesticide free garden.