WellAcademic: Women of Color Faculty Retreat
With Roxanne Donovan, PhD
October 5 - 7, 2018
Join other women of color faculty for a weekend devoted to YOU – your joy, your success, your wellness.
Andre Lorde put it best when she said, “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” And this retreat is about just that – helping women of color faculty care for themselves.
Surrounded by the magical beauty of the Elohee Center, this retreat offers the precious time and compassionate guidance needed to replenish from individual, institutional, and systemic challenges faced daily; to rejuvenate the body, mind, and spirit; and to share in authentic sisterhood where your full self is recognized and welcomed.
Our time together will focus on engaging in techniques shown to minimize suffering and stress while amplifying the capacity for joy and connection. Specifically, we will:
- Harness the healing power of gentle body movement
- Find calm and restoration though relaxation and mindfulness practices
- Explore pathways to identifying/accomplishing life goals
- Experience effective, affirming coaching focused on the unique experiences of women of color in the academy
- Foster connections with other women of color faculty
- Exhale and unplug
Activities are scheduled for 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon. There will also be time for exploration, reflection, and/or rest.
- Two-night accommodations in calming, quiet (and new ) cottages on Elohee’s Bald Mountain
- All taxes and fees
- Nourishing, delicious, chef-prepared vegetarian meals on the following schedule – dinner on Friday; breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday; breakfast and lunch on Sunday (vegan, gluten-free, and dairy-free options are available upon request)
- Access to Elohee amenities (miles of hiking trails, 100-ft waterfall, reflection pool, etc.)
- 24-hour tea service
- All training and facilitated group activities
- Post-retreat networking opportunities
- And more…
What’s Not Included:
- Transportation to/from Elohee
- Optional individual coaching with Joycelyn Moody, PhD, for 20 minutes ($50) or 40 minutes ($100)
- Optional 60-minute ($90) or 90-minute ($120) massages with Elohee’s licensed massage therapist
We are committed to making this retreat possible for all interested women of color faculty. We offer Early Bird Registration and a $50 WellAcademic Community Member discount. We also have four $200 grants available to WellAcademic Community Members who would benefit from the retreat but cannot afford the full price. These grants can be combined with Early Bird and Member discounts. They are on a first come, first served basis. Because we are only able to offer a few grants and do not ask for proof of need, please do not seek a grant if you have the means to attend the retreat without this assistance. If you are a WellAcademic Community Member and would like to request a grant, please contact Roxanne Donovan at Roxanne@WellAcademic.com. Not a member? Join here.
For more information and to register, go to: https://www.wellacademic.com/retreats.html
Have additional questions? Contact Roxanne Donovan at Roxanne@WellAcademic.com
Roxanne is co-founder of WellAcademic, Professor of Psychology and Interdisciplinary Studies at Kennesaw State University, and a licensed psychologist in Georgia. She has over 20 years of experience teaching, researching, mentoring, and practicing in the areas of health and wellness. As a Black-identified (cis)woman of multiracial…
Learn more about Roxanne Donovan, PhD