MFY: Making Friends with Yourself: A Mindful Self-Compassion Program for Teens & Young Adults Teacher Training
With Lorraine M. Hobbs, M.A., Chom and Marta Alonso Maynar, DClin Psy.
July 13 - 19, 2019
Welcome to the journey of becoming an MFY teacher! This journey requires a big heart and a passion for the wellbeing of teens.
The MFY Teacher Training is an intensive, 6-day program facilitated by MFY teacher trainers, including the creators of the program, Karen Bluth, Ph.D. and Lorraine Hobbs, MA. The training is built around the eight weekly classes and includes opportunities to practice teaching in small groups, with the close consultation of the teacher trainers. The training also includes how to advise parents in supporting their teens throughout the program.
At the completion of the MFY Teacher Training, participants will be able to:
- Identify the core themes and practices presented in each of the eight sessions of MFY
- Understand the rationale for the modifications made from the adult MSC program
- Describe different ways of involving parents so that they can appropriately engage and support their teens in their practice
- Identify obstacles for teens to learning mindful self-compassion practice and strategies for overcoming these obstacles
- Deepen one’s understanding of key elements in teaching mindfulness and self-compassion practice to teens
This 6-day intensive is intended for those who wish to teach the MFY program in an educational, clinical, or community setting.
The prerequisites for taking the MFY Teacher Training are:
- Established daily mindfulness and self-compassion practice,
- Completion of a 5-day or 8-week MSC course,
- Experience working with teens in an educational or clinical setting, preferably in groups.
Upon completion of the 6-day MFY Teacher Training, participants receive a Certificate of Attendance stating that he or she has attended the MFY TT in its entirety and can begin to teach MFY as a Teacher Trainee.
For more information about this program and to be directed to the registration page, please click here.
Lorraine M. Hobbs, M.A., Chom, is the Founding Director of the Youth and Family Programs at the University of California San Diego Center for Mindfulness. During her tenure at the Center, she has developed and implemented curricula in mindfulness for…
Learn more about Lorraine M. Hobbs, M.A., Chom
Marta Alonso Maynar, DClin Psy., is a psychologist and specialist in clinical psychology with the Ministry of Education and Science in Spain. She is the first Certified Teacher and Teacher Trainer in Spanish language and a pioneer in introducing compassion…
Learn more about Marta Alonso Maynar, DClin Psy.