WellAcademic: Women of Color Faculty Retreat
With Roxanne Donovan, PhD
November 1 - 3, 2019
Join other women of color faculty for a weekend devoted to YOU – your joy, your success, your wellness.
Andre Lorde put it best when she said, “Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation, and that is an act of political warfare.” And this retreat is about just that – helping women of color faculty care for themselves.
Surrounded by the magical beauty of the Elohee Center, this retreat offers the precious time and compassionate guidance women of color faculty need to replenish from systemic, institutional, and individual challenges faced daily; to rejuvenate the body, mind, and spirit; to find ways to improve productivity without compromising health; and to share in authentic sisterhood where your whole self is recognized and welcomed.
Our time together will focus on engaging in techniques shown to minimize suffering and stress while amplifying the capacity for joy and connection. Specifically, we will:
- Find calm and restoration though relaxation and mindfulness practices
- Explore healthy pathways to identifying/accomplishing career goals
- Experience effective, affirming coaching focused on the unique experiences of women of color in the academy
- Foster connections with other women of color faculty
- Exhale, unplug, and just be
- Two nights at breathtaking Elohee Retreat Center in the foothills of Georgia’s Blue Ridge Mountains
- Three Breakthrough Sessions where you practice strategies shown to enhance productivity, motivation, and resiliency in women of color
- Two Firelight Sister Circles that invite connection with yourself, others, and the beautiful surroundings
- Daily meditation sessions that teach you how to find calm and clarity in these stressful times
- Ample time for you to rest, reflect, or explore the awe-inspiring land
- Nourishing, delicious, chef-prepared exclusive (or mostly) vegetarian meals on the following schedule – dinner on Friday; breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Saturday; breakfast and lunch on Sunday
- Access to Elohee’s amenities, such as miles of hiking trails, 100-ft waterfall, reflection pool, etc.
- 24-hour tea service (coffee is available at all meals)
- Post-retreat networking opportunities
- And more…
- 30-minute individual coaching session with Joycelyn Moody, PhD ($100)
- 60-minute massage with Elohee’s licensed massage therapist ($90)
- Thursday night stay (with meals) for extra rest and renewal prior to retreat start (price varies between $315 and $420 depending on room choice)
- Roundtrip transportation between Hartsfield Airport and Elohee ($100)
We are committed to making this retreat possible for all interested women of color faculty. We offer our WellAcademic Community Members Early Bird Registration ($100 off posted rate until July 1) and a general member discount ($50). Only one of these member benefits can be used at a time, and they cannot be combined with other deductions, promotions, or grants.
We also have two $500 grants available to WellAcademic Community Members who would benefit from the retreat but need assistance to afford the full price. These grants cannot be combined with any other deductions or promotions, including Early Bird Registration. Grantees are unable to purchase massages or individual coaching. Grants are on a first come, first served basis.
Because we are only able to offer a two grants and do not ask for proof of need, please do not seek a grant if you have the means to attend the retreat without this assistance. If you are a WellAcademic Community Member and would like to request a grant, please contact Roxanne Donovan at Roxanne@WellAcademic.com. Not a member? Join here.
- A basic single-occupancy room with one twin bed and a bathroom across the hall that is shared with one other person is $920.
- A premium single-occupancy room with one king bed or two twin beds and a private bath is $1120.
- A double-occupancy room with two twin beds and a private bath is $890 per person.
Date & Time Details:
Check-in is Friday between 1 and 3 p.m. The first session begins promptly at 4:15 p.m. We end Sunday at 1:00 p.m. after a farewell lunch.
For more information and to register, go to: https://www.wellacademic.com/retreats.html
Have additional questions? Contact Dr. Roxanne Donovan at Roxanne@WellAcademic.com
Roxanne is co-founder of WellAcademic, Professor of Psychology and Interdisciplinary Studies at Kennesaw State University, and a licensed psychologist in Georgia. She has over 20 years of experience teaching, researching, mentoring, and practicing in the areas of health and wellness. As a Black-identified (cis)woman of multiracial…
Learn more about Roxanne Donovan, PhD